Monday, October 5, 2009

Watch out Nile- here I come!

Saturday morning we left bright and early for Jinja, where we would spend two days on the Nile rafting and relaxing. I was sooo sleepy on the bus ride over and before we suited up but once we got going my adrenaline was pumping and I was wide awake!

Rafting was soo much fun. The Nile is supposed to be the best rafting in the world and the rapids we went over were certainly intense. The section of the river we took had four class 5 rapids (the highest that a raft is allowed to go over) as well as some 3 and 4 class rapids. Our raft (and all 10 people in it) completely flipped on the first class 5 and we lost members on a few other rapids.

This picture is not of me, but it is a picture of another group going over a waterfall that comes immediately after one of the class 5 rapids (I think).

Hopefully I will be able to eventually post pictures of my actual group going, but these pictures are basically the same as what happened to us:
We did get to relax and swim in the Nile during the trip and halfway through we stopped on an island and ate a really yummy lunch of sandwiches. I also discovered that my dream job is being a Nile river rafting guide or one of the people that kayaks with the rafts to rescue swimmers and paddles that get flung off the rafts. Our guides were some really awesome Ugandan, Tanzanian, American and Zimbabwean guys who were intense and really funny.
We rafted about 36 km on saturday which took all day, so needless to say we were exhausted on Sunday. Luckily, we just hung out on a deck overlooking the Nile and I watched some of my friends go bungee jumping over the Nile. I really wanted to do it but it was too much money for me to do both. I did climb to the top of the tower and checked out the amazing view.
As far as I know, I did not get any parasites from the water. And though I didn't see it with my own eyes, a crocodille was spotted really close to where we rafted (and fell out).

2 comments:

  1. That is so freaking awesome! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can totally see you bunjee jumping lol

    ReplyDelete