Friday, September 25, 2009

My Ugandan Family

So...I tried to upload more photos and it wasn't working :(

I guess my words will just have to do on their own.

I just spent the last two weeks not on campus but living with a family in town. It was a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to visiting them again throughout the semester. My family is:

Papa Frederick Kisitu: The Reverend of a church in the slums of Kampala, he is a committed to serving in the poorest areas of a poor nation. Made me laugh by acting out the news stories for me, since they were in Luganda and not English. My personal favorite was when he showed me how police beat people and rip out the eyes of prisoners! LOVES hamburgers which I made for him :)

Mama Mirica Kisitu: A special ed teacher in Kampala. An extremely smart and opinionated woman. She was so happy when I made American food that she was dancing and singing throughout the house!

Julius: My oldest brother, he is a lawyer in Kampala. I never got to meet him :(

Tabitha: My older sister, an accountant with plans to open her own microlending company. She tried to set me up with Ugandan boys and is addicted to several Brazilian soap operas (horribly dubbed over in English, of course) which she made me watch every night.

Rachel: She is a nursing student in Kampala and I only met her for about an hour.

Irene: A 17 year old girl who loves to sing and watch me cook American food. She wants me to go to her prom with her before I leave and she laughs hysterically when I imitate our mom.

Phoebe: My 9 year old sister who spent the weekend at home from boarding school and went to a wedding with us. She makes funny faces and wants to be on Project Fame (the East African version of American Idol) someday.

Emmanuel: My favorite member of the family! He is Tabitha's 8 month old son and he is the most adorable boy. He has a mohawk because he only grows hair on the top of his head and he likes to eat cell phones.

On my last night at home they gave me a Ugandan name! It's Zawedde and it means "what has happened in the past will not happen again."

I really liked living with the Kisitus for the past two weeks but I am so happy to be back on campus with the other students. We are leaving tonight for Jinja where we are spending the weekend. We are staying at a resort that is at the source of the Nile so we will be boating and swimming in the Nile all weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment