Thursday, September 10, 2009

Language Barrier!

So, most of the people that I interact with speak english, but everyone also speaks at least one tribal language from their region. The local language is Luganda and we are beginning to pick it up. Here are a few of the words that are differant in Uganda:

Mazungu- means "white person" and everywhere we walk we hear people yelling this on the streets, either trying to get our attention or talking about us.

Rolex- not a watch here. It is cabbage, tomato, and eggs cooked and wrapped in chapati (kind of like a tortilla)that students often buy as a late-night snack. They are made on the side of the road across from campus.

Pants- means underwear. We have learned not to say, "I want to go put some pants on" because that will lead Ugandans to believe that we are going commando! Instead, they say trousers.

I'm sure I will learn more later, especially when I start my internship next week!

1 comment:

  1. the language difference would be hard to adjust to lol i would completely mess it up and say the wrong things. i am glad you are liking it there. i miss you

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete